When it comes to heartburn, there's a lot of information out there. Here's a bit of history and other facts based on real studies.
A little heartburn history
- The first written record of heartburn treatment dates back to the first century.
- We've been using calcium carbonate to relieve heartburn since the first century.
Who gets heartburn
- 25 million adults suffer from heartburn on a daily basis.
- Experts estimate that 40% of adults experience heartburn monthly.
- Children and infants can experience heartburn symptoms.
- 65% of people who get daytime heartburn will also experience it at night.
Heartburn in pregnancy
- 40-80% of pregnant women will suffer from heartburn.
- Heartburn is associated with increased severity of nausea and vomiting. Managing heartburn may improve severity.
- TUMS® is the number one selling antacid in North America.
- Over 46% of people taking a PPI experience 'breakthrough heartburn'.
- Approximately 94% of people link their heartburn symptoms to certain types of food.
- In the U.S., antacids are the most commonly used product for relieving heartburn symptoms.